As it happens I desperately wanted to bake bread and upon further searching, I discovered I was out of yeast! Bread without yeast? Is that possible? Apparently it is as I found a delicious recipe for baking powder/ no yeast bread.
And boy oh boy is it delicious!
I made it on Tuesday for the first time and added thyme and oregano. After it finished cooking, I proceeded to eat about half of it standing in the kitchen. Seriously, it was that good. I decided to try it again today, only a larger loaf and with different flavorings. I made 1.5 times the online recipe and added several seasonings. My version is based on Yeast Free Bread and made the following modifications. It turned out to be a savoy bread chock full of flavor.
5C all purpose flour
6t baking powder
1C onions, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
1C butter, melted
2t oregano, to taste
1.5t thyme, to taste
1t chili powder, to taste
Parmesan or other cheese
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Using a stand mixer, mix flour, salt and baking powder in the bowl.
- Add the milk and butter to the dry ingredients on low speed. Continuously stop to fold dry ingredients back into the mixture. The dough should be moist but not sticky. You may need to add more flour if mixture is too sticky. Do not work the dough too much.
- Once the wet and dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed, add the onions, garlic and seasonings to taste.
- Shape into a ball or an oval, with oiled hands and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 400F.
- My bread was still a bit moist at this point so I turned the oven off and left the loaf in for an additional 15 minutes.
Now if only I had some homemade butter to top this amazing loaf of bread…