In the last 2 weeks since deciding to move forward with the foster-adoption process, I have. . .
- Been in touch several times with the adoption advocate at Our Kids of Miami-Dade County
- Scheduled our Orientation class at which we will schedule our 10-weeks of PRIDE classes (PDF link)
- Joined a gym to ensure I will be around for a very long time for my child(ren)
- Committed to work on my personal problems
- Had breakfast with Steve that turned into brunch as we sat for 3 hours talking to a realtor about buying a home, her connections for jobs at UM and FIU, our lives, her schedule, real estate classes and so much more
- And subsequently, spent hours looking up homes between South Miami and Cutler Bay
- Talked about the process and foster-adoption to loads of people
- Discovered that my 20th high school reunion is next year – ugh!
- Gathered a ton of information about my amazing friends on the kind of parents they are (or want to be) and began forming the picture in my mind about my parenting style
- Got lost in Target in the children’s bedroom aisles – so much pink!
- Met another couple for dinner that I can’t wait to hang out with a lot more
- And. . . just submitted my information to take classes to become a CASA volunteer with the Guardian Ad Litem program
More to come! I’m sort of playing catch up and trying not to spew out so much information at once. I hope all my knowledge – and trust me, I learn more about foster-adoption every day – will be helpful for other folks as well. It will be interesting to see how many folks I’ve educated and that also adopt from foster care. If you’re thinking about it, let me know, OK?